baslinux - Re: [BL] mounting by user

  • From: Andrew Langdon-Davies <ald2 AT arrakis.es>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] mounting by user
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:35:31 +0200

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:43:35 +1200, <qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org> wrote:

According to man mount, 'user' allows any user to mount and the same user to unmount.

That's not what 'man mount' says on my system. It says: "Only the super- user may mount and unmount filesystems."
That's from the man2 section. I see there is a reference to
a man8 mount, but that is not on my system. I do remember
reading about putting user in /etc/fstab to get around this,
but I have never tried it myself (I always have a root login
open to do such things).

Aha! I installed the utils packet and now things work as I wanted. The reason it matters to me is that I am setting up this system for some people who find even Windows complicated. I have to make it as simple as possible for them. Now they can mount floppies and cds by clicking on the icons in xfm. Just like 'Big Brother'.
Cheers to you and all.
Andrew