baslinux - Re: [BL] mounting by user

  • From: Andrew Langdon-Davies <ald2 AT arrakis.es>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] mounting by user
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:36:11 +0200

But how do they *unmount* them? If they remove the floppy or CD without
first unmounting, there'll be trouble . . . This is probably one of the
biggest downsides to Linux for Win users - the disk mounting/unmounting
thing. And, for the production computer user (say, a secretary who
does mainly wordprocessing) who has to use removeable media alot, there
could be quite alot of time, and consequently productivity, loss involved.
Having to mount and unmount all the time, and having to remember to do so
- lest you destabilize the system - could noticeably increase the workload

If xfm is installed, a double click on the floppy or cd icon mounts and opens the device. I can't actually remember and I can't check it at this moment, but either closing the window or clicking again on the icon or both unmounts it again. As I say, I can't remember now exactly which step does the unmounting, but I checked using 'mount' on the console and it does get unmounted.
Basically, this machine is for some young people to 'learn the ropes' on, so productivity isn't an issue!
Personally, I recommend xfm in combination with something like icewm on a small machine. I even use it for work on a Pentium II with Slackware 9.0 and 4 gigas of hd. KDE and Gnome are so big.
Andrew