baslinux - Re: [BL] mounting by user

  • From: "James Miller (office)" <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] mounting by user
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:30:59 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> James Miller wrote:
> >
> > But how do they *unmount* them? If they remove the floppy
> > or CD without first unmounting, there'll be trouble . . .
> > This is probably one of the biggest downsides to Linux for
> > Win users - the disk mounting/unmounting thing.
>
> The mtools utility avoids all this. There is no mounting or
> umounting. As long as you use DOS floppies, it works just
> like DOS (except each DOS command starts with an m). For
> example, to copy sample.txt to the floppy:
> -------------------
> mcopy sample.txt a:

Now wait a minute. Isn't that cheating? :)

But, seriously. In Andrew's case, his problem might be addressed by
making some executable scripts - say, with things like mdir a:, mdir d: -
and making symlink icons on the desktop. Right? I guess one could
configure a file mgr (gui frontend) to use these commands . . .

Are there some security concerns surrounding mtools? (since they
apparently get root priviledges)

James