baslinux - Re: [BL] mounting by user

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] mounting by user
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:43:35 +1200

Andrew Langdon-Davies wrote:

> >> etc/fstab which reads:
> >> /dev/fd0 /floppy auto noauto,users 0 0
>
> According to man mount, 'user' allows any user to mount
> and the same user to unmount.

That's not what 'man mount' says on my system. It says:
"Only the super-user may mount and unmount filesystems."
That's from the man2 section. I see there is a reference to
a man8 mount, but that is not on my system. I do remember
reading about putting user in /etc/fstab to get around this,
but I have never tried it myself (I always have a root login
open to do such things).

If you are only mounting DOS-formatted floppies, you might be
able to get around this by installing /slakware/a5/floppy.tgz.
It allows you to access DOS-formatted floppies without mounting.
For example, mdir gives you the directory and mcopy copies to/
from the floppy. You've also got mattrib, mbadblocks, mcd,
mdel, mdeltree, mdu mformat, mkmanifest, mlabel, mmd, mmount,
mmove, mrd, mread, mren, mtoolstest and mtype.