baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: dosemu

  • From: "Krzysztof A. Suchecki" <christopher.suchecki AT wp.pl>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: dosemu
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 07:08:34 +0200

James Miller wrote:

[...]

> Chris' remarks about it performing
> poorly on older hardware sort of added to my suspicions about its
> usefulness - though he seemed to be talking more about system performance
> levels than about the software's operation.

"Have you run any emulator on 486dx33 with the acceptable speed?"

Yes, some ZX Spectrum (it's 8-bit computer) emulators.

> Maybe Bochs
> could offer something more to the DOS user - though he'd have to have
> something on the high end of survpc equipment to run it, and it would have
> to be run under Xwindows (as I understand it).

Software: Windows 98
Hardware: Celeron 400, 64MB RAM
Bochs: 2.x
Want to emulate: Windows 98.

I had to checked if I was running Celeron or 486.
Sloooow. Although: 64MB RAM was too little for emulating Win32,
and DOS booted quite smoothly.

But don't expect that it will boot with acceptable speed on 486!
486 is simply to slow machine. Err, maybe 486dx100MHz (or AMD's 133MHz)
will be a proper hardware.

Chris

Bądź pierwszy! Zarabiaj więcej! Codziennie!
UWAGA! Sprawdź promocję! < http://inwestycje.wp.pl >