baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: dosemu

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: dosemu
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:38:05 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Day Brown wrote:

> When you do run dosemu, will it let you have the 50x80 screen? I see
> that you havta be root to change the terminal font in Linux.

I think various settings like that are possible in the config file -
dosemu.conf, IIRC. Since I've made those remarks about dosemu and gotten
some feedback, I've actually managed to try it out. It's much simpler to
set up than I had thought. However, it seems to be really still in a sort
of beta state (my version is 0.99 something, btw). I had been meaning to
ask onlist if anyone had managed to do anything useful with it: I suppose
it could just take a bit more fiddling with settings to get things right
so that it functions more normally. Chris' remarks about it performing
poorly on older hardware sort of added to my suspicions about its
usefulness - though he seemed to be talking more about system performance
levels than about the software's operation. But I am leaning toward the
view that dosemu may not be especially useful and might be a bit of a
disappointment to a DOS user who expects something approaching full DOS
workability under dosemu. That said, has anyone onlist managed to use
dosemu productively? Is it just sort of a toy, or can it really offer a
DOS user something useful and useable on a Linux system? I did see
in the documentation that it can use a real DOS partition: does it
maybe work better this way? I didn't try it that way, but rather the
other way (not sure how to call it: under "full emulation"?). Maybe Bochs
could offer something more to the DOS user - though he'd have to have
something on the high end of survpc equipment to run it, and it would have
to be run under Xwindows (as I understand it). Then again, maybe dual
booting really is the answer for survpc'ers who still want to do useful
things with DOS.

James