baslinux - Re: dosemu Was Re: [BL] Running jmce

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: dosemu Was Re: [BL] Running jmce
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 07:29:34 +0000

Ken Martwick wrote:

> If I am logged in as root, the installation goes well,
> but root is not allowed to run dosemu.
> Then, logging in as that user, I cannot even create a
> subdirectory in which to unpack the files!

Permissions are a can of worms (that's why BasicLinux
normally runs as root). If a user is unable to create
a subdirectory, it probably means that user does not
own the directory in which he is trying to create the
subdirectory. One way of fixing this is to login as
root and assign ownership of that directory to the user.
-------------------------------
chown -R username directoryname
-------------------------------
The -R makes it recursive: the ownership change runs
down through all the subdirectories.

An alternative solution is to give ordinary users write
permission to that directory.
-----------------------
chmod 777 directoryname
Again, use the -R to run the change down through all
the subdirectories.

> Can "normal" users run anything other than "whoami"?

That's probably a PATH issue. Try this:
echo $PATH
Are some directories missing from the user's path?