baslinux - Re: [BL] jpeg viewers for BL2

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] jpeg viewers for BL2
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 10:45:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 19 May 2003 ariadne AT acepia.net.au wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> On Sun, 18 May 2003 11:17:06 -0400 (EDT), <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org> wrote:
>
> > The image viewer recommended for use with DOS Lynx is Display, and it
> > claims to be available also for Linux. I have not tracked it down yet.
> > It views many formats and converts and manipulates and is fast unless you
> > are trying to view mono in which case it is ridiculously slow.
>
> Display for DOS is a BIG beast. It is quick enough on my K6 400 MHz
> with 64 MB RAM, but I am not so sure about slower machines. It is a
> 32-bit protected mode program and also uses cwsdpmi. DISPLAY.EXE is
> about 1.3 MB and will only work with VESA-capable cards.
>
> For DOS Lynx, I think LxPic is a better bet.

LxPic is certainly faster, but the images don't look as good and it
handles only gif and jpeg, not the other formats. I have used Display for
DOS on 486s with 16M RAM. It runs the same speed with 16M or 32M.
I also use Pictview for DOS, which has its own problems (for instance you
cannot rotate a monochrome image without first making it 256 color). It
handles lots of formats.

Display is faster than Pictview and handles jpegs that Pictview says are
broken and that LxPic also cannot deal with. It is a real pain to
configure, though - you have to edit a rather cryptic configuration file
to tell it your exact resolution and color depth and many other things.