baslinux - Re: [BL] xpdf / pdftotext

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xpdf / pdftotext
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 17:21:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, sindi keesan wrote:

> > You've got them already. The first place to look for
> > BL2 add-ons is Slackware 7.1. If you had done a search
> > on MANIFEST.gz, you would have found pdftotext (etc.)
> > immediately. You don't even need to gunzip MANIFEST.gz
> > ---------------------------------
> > zcat MANIFEST.gz | grep pdftotext

I did this (substituting for pdftotext libbfd*)
and got out three lines with libbfd and /root/root/ on them which
I don't understand - they did not refer to any package that i know of.

> > ---------------------------------
> > Or, if you have installed the less.tgz package (used
> > by 'man' to display manpages), you can do:
> > -----------------
> > zless MANIFEST.gz (then press / to search)
> > -----------------

I have installed less, but zless does not work. I am told I don't have
it.

SUCCESS with pdftotext used with or without lynx.

The non-gzexed pdftotext file from Doug Kaufman (which he either compiled
or got out of the foolabs package and stripped) is about 900K and it
works perfectly.

I have asked if I can share it, but you can probably also use the one
from foolabs. Any volunteers to post this version? (387K .gz file)

I added to lynx.cfg two DOWNLOADER lines:

DOWNLOADER: View pdf file with pdftotext:pdftotext %s -|less:TRUE
DOWNLOADER: View with links:links219 %s:TRUE

links219 is what I named the newest links. %s tells it to act on the
downloaded file. |less says to view the output with less so it will
not scroll off the screen. You could use |more instead.

When you are done viewing with less or more exit those programs (q?)
When done viewing with links quit with q, yes.

The global mailcap line in lynx.cfg was already commented out. I
just deleted mailcap itself.

Can you use links with downloaders like this?