baslinux - Re: [BL] xpdf / pdftotext

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xpdf / pdftotext
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 13:05:30 -0400 (EDT)

Neo Sze Wee wanted to know more about the DOS version of pdftotext.
The one posted on the web is at foolabs.com and is part of a 1.2M download
including pdftops and pdfimages and pdfinfo. pdftotext decmpresses to
964K !!!! It also requires gzip.

The older version from Arachne is a lot smaller. I can email that or ask
Doug for permission to use his DOS version. They are nearly identical and
both about 170K. You can also download Arachne (about 1M) and install it
and use it to browse and do mail, also to telnet or ftp by downloading the
plugins from the Arachne site, as well as the pdftotext plugin. There is
an automatic package manager (APM) that deals with these packages for you.

The foolabs version needs a 386 or later with DMPI support (put the file
cwsdpmi on your path) and math coprocessor. You can read more at
members.cox.net/xpdf/download.html.

Maybe the newer version produces more readable output? Version 0.90 does
not do so well with tables.

You type pdftotex filename.pdf
and it outputs filename.txt

There is also a switch if you just want to display to screen
pdftotex filename.pdf -

I should try that with Lynx. I had saved the file to temp and then read
it with list instead.

Sindi Keesan