baslinux - Re: [BL] Mail clients

  • From: Howard Eisenberger <howarde AT gmx.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Mail clients
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:33:35 -0400

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 08:17:49AM -0400, Mark Glassberg wrote:

> I changed my fqdn from Basiclinux to the name of my isp, and opened a
> user account in the name of my account on my isp. Surprise, surprise!
> The BL1 mail script works! Can someone tell me how to redirect the
> hand-off of mail from Mutt to sendmail? The messages in Mutt suggest
> that the two programs talk to each other. I don't need those messages,
> but they imply that the interaction is more than a simple pipe.

If you've got sendmail running, you shouldn't have to tell Mutt
anything. It will automatically hand off the message to sendmail.
If you are online, it will be sent immediately. If you are offline,
it will be stored in the outgoing mail queue (under /var/mail/ or
var/spool/ ?) and will get sent by the sendmail daemon when you
go online.

You should be able to use "mailq" to check the outgoing queue and
"runq" to force the mail to get sent if necessary.

I was also able to send mail from Mutt using pmail instead of
sendmail by postponing (instead of sending) in Mutt and then using
Mutt's postponed folder as pmail's outbox.

Howard E.