baslinux - Re: [BL] Mail clients

  • From: Neo Sze Wee <neoszewee AT gmx.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Mail clients
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 15:54:28 +0000

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 12:33:35PM -0400, Howard Eisenberger wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 08:17:49AM -0400, Mark Glassberg wrote:
>
> > I changed my fqdn from Basiclinux to the name of my isp, and opened a
> > user account in the name of my account on my isp. Surprise, surprise!
> > The BL1 mail script works! Can someone tell me how to redirect the
> > hand-off of mail from Mutt to sendmail? The messages in Mutt suggest
> > that the two programs talk to each other. I don't need those messages,
> > but they imply that the interaction is more than a simple pipe.
>
> If you've got sendmail running, you shouldn't have to tell Mutt
> anything. It will automatically hand off the message to sendmail.
> If you are online, it will be sent immediately. If you are offline,
> it will be stored in the outgoing mail queue (under /var/mail/ or
> var/spool/ ?) and will get sent by the sendmail daemon when you
> go online.
>
> You should be able to use "mailq" to check the outgoing queue and
> "runq" to force the mail to get sent if necessary.
>
> I was also able to send mail from Mutt using pmail instead of
> sendmail by postponing (instead of sending) in Mutt and then using
> Mutt's postponed folder as pmail's outbox.

I am also using postponed folder. How do you avoid mail you really want
to postpone? I do it by remapping the postpone folder to a different
folder like this:

macro compose y ":set postponed=+postponed_ssmtp\nq\n:set
postponed=+postponed\n"

and using procmail, formail and ssmtp to send them:

formail -s procmail /root/procmailrc.ssmtp < /root/Mail/postponed_ssmtp

for i in /root/mail/new/*; do
cat $i | ssmtp -v -t
fi
done

However it would be better if I can simulate sendmail to capture the
mail send by mutt.