baslinux - Re: [BL] Mail clients

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Mail clients
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 08:49:47 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Mark Glassberg wrote:

> Unfortunately, the mailing process is very slow on a 20Mh 386; so I'm
> looking for another solution. Do you know if Pine can do masquerading?

Pine has something called "roles" that is probably something like the
"masquerading" you're talking about. Whether it is enough like that to
suit your ISP's smtp server, I don't know. In any case, you enter basic
information about yourself in Pine in the configuration menu - including
things like personal name and your domain. To create a role in Pine, you
go to setup, then press "R" for roles. There, you can select various
conditions under which a role is to be used (e.g., based on the "to"
field, the subject of the email and so forth - selecting no conditions
makes the role potentially apply to all mail) and an alternate "from"
address field. When you save those settings, each time you compose an
email (that is, if you've selected the broadest possible conditions), you
are asked if the new role(s) should be used for that message. I believe
that, despite the fact that an alternate "from" address appears in
a message for which you've used a role, your real domain (the one
you entered in for your domain at the "configuration" screen) appears
somewhere in the header. I'll try and check that sometime soon. As far
as I can determine at the moment, this is a feature of Pine that *may*
answer to your need.

James
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 09:33:26 -0500 (CDT)
From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org

Well, I just checked the full header of an email I sent to myself using a
role under Pine and my real domain does *not* appear in the header. So,
it seems I was wrong in what I said earlier about Pine doing something
similar to masquerading. It, apparently, doesn't work very much like
masquerading. The only other way I can think of at the moment that Pine
might help is by allowing you to stipulate a reply-to address. Would
that do what you need?

James
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 11:55:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [BL] Pine and BL2

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, James Miller wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, sindi keesan wrote:
>
> > My ISP does not support IMAP - do you need that in order to use Pine to
> > view messages on the server? I tried to get the DOS version of pine to do
> > this once and gave up. Some ISPs do support IMAP.

You have not answered my question as to whether Pine can read mail on the
server (without downloading it) if the server (ISP) does not support IMAP.
I am guessing it cannot.

I have no interest in using POP mail so I use Pine on the server at my
bbs, where you can forward spam to spamcop (or filter it with procmail).
Pine does not let you click on embedded URLs - I forward mail with those
to a webmail account.

My bbs has Pine (an older version) installed and it takes up 4M. When the
bbs is slow, it can take quite a long time to load Pine (especially if you
let 100 messages accumulate, even tho they only total 300K or so), so I
have been looking at faster mail programs. Mailx won't automatically
attach messages but it is 115K installed (executable). There is a small
'sendmail' program (cannot find it right now) that does automatic
attachments of binary files in base64 but does not send the name along,
and elm (401K) and mutt (1.7M) which moved all my read mail to mbox
without asking permission. I will see if I can get elm to work with BL2.
Someone also suggested that I look at mpack for encoding binary files
before sending them. Would it be difficult to write a script to
automatically encode and attach them to my outgoing mails?

Pine is by far the most beginner friendly. We have 3.96. It is somewhat
of a nuisance to read mail sent as html - I have been exporting it, adding
automate this?

Pine works with 8-bit fonts loaded.