baslinux - [BL] Re: ratpoison and other small windowmanager

  • From: "Krzysztof A. Suchecki" <christopher.suchecki AT wp.pl>
  • To: baslin AT topica.com
  • Cc: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Re: ratpoison and other small windowmanager
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 09:31:02 +0200

James Miller wrote:

> Excuse me for butting in, but I highly recommend *against* putting RedHat
> on those systems. I have some recent experience with this. I set up a
> Pentium 75 for myself recently with a 600MB HD and 32MB RAM using RH 6.2.
> immediately after the install, the hard drive was 90% full!

You did a full install. As with all full installs, they eat too much:

Full Slack 3.5 = nearly 400 MB lost
Full Slack 3.9 = nearly 700 MB lost

Bare RH 6.0 eats about 100-150MB AFAIR.
But I managed to lower it to 70-80MB.
Of course you may tweak it and comes to sth larger than BasicLinux.

At math department of my ex-university, in 1999 they used RH 6.2
and Win 3.1 on 500MB HDDs, some early Pentiums, with Netscape 3.04,
Mathematica, Octave, some TeX and Ghostscript and gcc.

Chris