b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 9:10

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 9:10
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 22:48:08 -0600

Hi George,

The interruption is welcome.  However, I agree with what you have said as well.  So, I guess the love fest continues.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary
Edmonton, Alberta

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 9:46 PM, George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au> wrote:
Sorry to break up the love-in…

Just to nuance the previous comments from Jerry and Dave: While the clause in question is indeed a verbless clause, we need to remember that this is poetry not prose. As such, supplying a verb isn't requisite. It all depends on how you phrase it in English. Poetry is, after all, about using words and clauses in non-standard ways. Note the consistent use of weqatal verbs throughout v.10, which ties all the actions together into one big whole. I'd render the sections as something like this:

9. Celebrate greatly, Daughter Zion!
Shout, Daughter Jerusalem!
See your king comes to you,
exonerated and freed.
He is humble, and riding on a donkey,
on an ass, the foal of she-asses,
10. eliminating chariotry in Ephraim,
and horse from Jerusalem,
eliminating the bow of war,
and promising peace to the nations,
his dominion from sea to sea,
from the River to the ends of the earth.

(Note: I've followed a textual emendation of the first word in 9.10, swapping the taw and yodh to render it 3ms rather than 1cs.)

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia