b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] )PS

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] )PS
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 08:44:20 -0400

1. I doubt that a Hebrew root can mean something as abstract as 'vanish'.
The etymological dictionaries, such as http://www.etymonline.com/ say
that vanish = va-nish' essentially meaning 'go (va, as in vamos) out'. On
'margin' they say it is a mark.
Notice that in German 'to hide' is 'verstecken' or 'verbergen', both of very
concrete meaning.

2. The act אגד AGAD is, in my opinion, a variant of אחד AXAD, which by
itself, is a variant of אחז AXAZ, 'held together', and עקד AQAD, 'bound'.

3. You are right that AGAD is related to גדוּד GDUD, 'heap'.

4. In this connection we should mention also the nouns גג GAG, 'roof',
and דוֹד DOD, 'uncle, loved one, grown up'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University