b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 9:10

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Dave Washburn <davidlwashburn AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 9:10
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 19:26:54 -0400

Is it possible that אַפְסֵי אָֽרֶץ is more specifically 'the high mountains,
the apex of the earth'? I would compare the root אפס APS to the
root אבס ABS, of which we have אבוּס ABUS, 'fattened, made plump,
swelled', as in Prov. 15:17 and 1Ki 5:3.

Today we use EPES for 'zero', but this is merely an example for language
using the positive (a thing) to express the, otherwise difficult to express,
negative (nothing = no–thing), as the
הוֹי מַגִּיעֵי בַיִת בְּבַיִת שָׂדֶה בְשָׂדֶה יַקְרִיבוּ עַד אֶפֶס מָקוֹם
KJV: "Woe unto them that join house to house, that lay field to field,
till there be no place"
of Is. 5:8, where אֶפֶס מָקוֹם (namely, אֶבֶס מָקוֹם ) is at once 'no place',
and 'a full place with no space left free'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University

On Aug 14, 2013, at 6:11 PM, Dave Washburn wrote

I tend to think so. "From sea to sea, from the River to the ends of the earth/land" appears to be a rather extensive way of saying "everywhere."

My answers are free, and well worth it.