b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 9:10

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <davidlwashburn AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 9:10
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 15:11:55 -0700

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Stewart Felker <stewart.felker AT gmail.com> wrote:
וְדִבֶּר שָׁלֹום לַגֹּויִם וּמָשְׁלֹו מִיָּם עַד יָם וּמִנָּהָר עַד אַפְסֵי אָֽרֶץ

I have two issues here. משלו here is to be understood as "his dominion" - the object of דבר, correct? So, "and he will proclaim peace to the nations and [proclaim] his ruling/dominion..." Most major translations seem to be obscure this, supplying that his dominion "will extend" or "will be" from sea to sea.

וּמָשְׁלֹו מִיָּם עַד יָם looks more like a verbless clause to me: He will proclaim peace to the nations, and his dominion is/will be from sea to sea etc.  I'm not sure the grammar will support it as an object of דִבֶּר. It reads more naturally as a separate clause.

Also, is it possible that the waw connecting מים עד ים with מנהר עד אפסי ארץ is epexegetical?

I tend to think so. "From sea to sea, from the River to the ends of the earth/land" appears to be a rather extensive way of saying "everywhere."

My answers are free, and well worth it.

Dave Washburn

Check out my Internet show: http://www.irvingszoo.com

Now available: a novel about King Josiah!