b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Leake <jesleake AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 00:02:30 +0100

Sorry to ask, Bryant, but why would you expect the biblical quotes to be from the LXX? Wouldn't you expect it to depend on the NT author and on the source of his quotation (e.g. oral tradition vs. scripture as learned in youth vs. text in front of the author)? Wouldn't you expect some translation by some NT authors into Greek via some form of Aramaic targum, formal or informal? Matthew, for example. I should imagine the LXX had a different status in Judea from that it had in Alexandria - or Tarsus. Paul I might expect to be familiar with both the LXX and the Hebrew and to be able to use or not use the LXX as need be. I'm asking because I'm in a state of ignorance, not because I have a stance on this. There must be studies - does anyone know of one or two?

On a related point, has anyone read Tessa Rajek's new book on the LXX?

John Leake
ان صاحب حياة هانئة لا يدونها انما يحياها
He who has a comfortable life doesn't write about it - he lives it