b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G. Geroux and the Name

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G. Geroux and the Name
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 09:04:21 +0200

Dear Yigael,

I know what the normal practice is today among the Jews. I experienced it
myself for the first time forty years ago in Jerusalem, and then I was very
surprised. I do not think we have any evidence today regarding the Galilean
Jewish practice in the first part of the first century CE. However, we should
note that Jesus generally did not follow what the religious leaders of the
day taught and did. He often said: "You have heard that it has been said (by
the religious leaders)....But I say to you..." Therefore, we cannot conclude
that Jesus and the NT writers followed the traditions of the Pharisees and
Sadducees.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern