b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 17:42:12 +0200

Dear Chavoux,

When you ask whether a Piel form of HYH would be possible, I must answer that
we do not know. We must even ask: Why should the name of God be a verb? That
the YOD is a mark for the 3rd person of a verb, as some would use as an
argument, has no value. There are many other words than verbs that begin with
a YOD. And continuing the line of uncertainty, we do not know whether there
is a wordplay (similarity of sounds) between the use of HYH in Exodus 3:14
and the name YHWH in 3:15. We do not even have any clues that could suggest
that there was a connection between the verb HYH and YHWH.

Regarding pronunciation, the situation is different, because there are some
clues, as I already have mentioned. There are two reasons why a Piel form of
HYH does not seem to fit. First, we have the theophoric names in the Tanakh
which starts with YEHO-, suggesting that the first syllable of the name was
YE- and the second syllable was HO. We note that the vowel O in HO is plene
written. Second, we have transcriptions of theophoric names into Akkadian. In
Neo-Babylonian documents we find the forms Ia-a-hu-u-za-bad (Yehosabad) and
Ia-a-hu-u-na-ta-nu (Jehonatan). In Akkadian transcriptions in Persian
documents, we find Ia-a-hu-na-ta-nu (Jehonatan) and Ia-a-hu-du (Jehodu). The
cuneiform sign "ia" is a combination of the signs for "i" and "a."But the
sign cal also be read as "iu" and "ie," and there is no sign for "ho," only
for "hu." In Akkadian, the second syllable of theophoric names were written
as "hu," corroborating the Hebrew "ho." Thus, the evidence speaks against a
Piel form of the verb HYH.

Several Hebrew names have the theophoric ending YAHU; we find it two times in
Isaiah 1:1.If the last H in YHWH served as a vowel, here we have the three
consonants of the name, YHW. We know that the name of God was not pronounced
in the days of the Masoretes, and that the substitute )DNY was used. Could it
be that the long theophoric ending in proper names also were doctored by the
rabbis or the Masoretes, to the effect that the last WAW in these theohoric
names is a consonant and not a plene vowel, as indicated by the Masoretic
pointing? Something that could suggest that, are the endings of some
Akkadian transcriptions of Hebrew names. In Neo-Babylonian documents we find
Ha-na-ni-a-ma and Pi-il-ia-a-ma, and in Persian documents we find
Ia-a-hu-ia-a-ma and Ma-ta-ni-ia-a-ma. What can this last last "ma" be? The
sign representing "w," may have been pronounced with a weak nasalization in
Middle Babylonian. Whatever was the case, the letter "w" was replaced by "m"
in Neo-Babylonian. Thus, the word for "man" was AWILU in Middle Babylonian
and AMILU i Neo-Babylonian. Thus, the "ma"-element could stand for "wa." If
that was the case, the ending was ia-a-wa or ie-a-wa. If the written "ma" was
"wa," it cvould suggest that the last syllable of Hebrew names with
theophoric endings was "wa" and not plene "u," as pointed by the Masoretes.
That could also have a bearing on the Aramaic writing of God's name as YHW at
Elephantine in the 5th century BCE. These three letters are almost
universally taken as YAHO. But as the the case of the Akkadian
transliterations and possibly in the Masoretic text, the last WAW could have
been a consonant, and its vowel would naturally have been qamets. I find
several problems with the attempts to distinguish between a northern and a
southern form of Hebrew; I therefore look at such arguments with caution.

What about the Greek evidence? The Church father Theodoret (c. 393-c. 457)
claimed that the Samaritans pronounced the name as Iabe (eta). But he
continues to say that the Jews pronouned it aia. (No such Samaritan evidence
has been foiund) He therefore speaks against iabe as the Jewish
pronunciation. Origen used iao (omega) and iaoia (omega) and iae (eta). But
the form that were widespread all over the Greek-speaking world from the
second or third century BCE to the second century CE. or longer was iao
(omega). Some of those who used this form was Diodorus Siculus (first century
BCE); the author Marcus Terrentius Varro (116-27 BCE), who wrote 75 works;
Philo of Byblos (64-41 CE); the Roman writer Valerius Maximus (first part of
the first century CE); and emperor Gaius Ceasar (Caligula, 12-41 CE). It is
also found in the LXX-like manuscript 4QLXXLevb from the first century BCE
where the MT has YHWH. The he occurring two times in the name cannot be
reproduced in Greek, and we do not know the real correspondence between
Hebrew YHWH and Greek iao. A Piel form of HYH could of course have led to the
Greek form iao, but a number of other forms could have led to the same Greek
transcription as well.

So the conclusion is that we do not know whether the name of God is connected
with HYH or another verb, and if it is connected with a verb, we do not know
which stem.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern