b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yohanan bin-Dawidh <yohanan.bin.dawidh AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 18:06:21 -0500

Hello Karl and Rolf;

I agree with the three syllables, but I am not so sure that the name is lost. The Deity gave to us אהיה אשר אהיה and we know that יהוה is related to אהיה, which is conjugated from היה. The term יהוה to me seems to be the third-person imperfect of the Aramaic counterpart to היה, which is הוה. The third-person imperfect of this is יֶהֱוֶה or YeHeWeH. But I, also, understand that my understanding could be wrong, and this is why I make no definite claim to my perceived pronunciation, even if it can be demonstrated with the language.

Regards,

Yohanan bin-Dawidh
Fort Worth, Texas