b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Stephen Shead <sshead.email AT gmail.com>
  • To: Timothy Lawson <lostntym8 AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 17:59:04 +1000

Timothy,

I didn't mean that the LXX is irrelevant for analysing the Tetragrammaton - far from it!! The textual history of the Tetragrammaton in the LXX is actually a little more complex than that - there is manuscript evidence of different "solutions" for the question of how to render the Hebrew יהוה in Greek translations of the Hebrew Scriptures. "Translating" it as κυριος wasn't the only solution used in all manuscripts. Two other options tried were transliteration into Greek letters (very interesting for those wanting to study the ancient pronunciation!), or simply transcribing it in the Hebrew script.

But Rolf - if I understood him correctly - was claiming that there is "evidence" that the NT originally contained, not (solely?) the "translation" κυριος, but rather the Hebrew word itself (in Hebrew script?), in contexts referring to God or quotes from the OT containing יהוה. My understanding is that there is, in fact, no manuscript evidence for this (i.e. no NT extant manuscript of any shape, size or dating which contains the Hebrew name, in either script - every manuscript found consistently has κυριος).

I have heard logical arguments that the NT must originally have contained the Hebrew Name - partly appealing to the evidence of the LXX (I find these arguments entirely unconvincing). But that does not count as "evidence" for the use of the name in the NT - hence my question to Rolf. I want to know if I'm wrong, and there is actually any NT manuscript which would constitute such evidence.

I hope that answers your question.

Regards,
Stephen Shead.