b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 09:20:12 +0200

Dear Jonathan,

I have an explanation that differs from yours. The kaf is the first letter of
the syllable, and because it has no preceding vowel, it should have had a
dagesh and have been a stop, according to Masoretic rules. But it is
fricative because other forms of MLK have a vowel before the kaf. Therefore,
when Masoretic rules are violated, and we find a fricative begadkefat, which
should have been a stop, this is often a signal that something is lacking
that previously was there—here a vowel.

The vocalization of the four consonants YHWH leads to one closed syllable,
YEH, and one open syllable, WA. A shewa in a closed syllable violates the
rules of the Masoretes, Therefore, when it occurs, it may signal that
something is lacking that previously was there. And this "something"
naturally was a vowel after he. This would lead to three open syllables
YE-H+vowel-WA.

The position of Nehemiah Gordon may or may not be true; in my view, his
arguments are not convincing. We do not know the real pronunciation of YHWH,
but the clues we have, based on theophoric names, and corroborated by
Akkadian transcriptions of Hebrew names, are that YHWH had three syllables,
that the first was YE, and the last was WA, or WE (segol), and that the
middle vowel was O or U. There is absolutely no ancient Hebrew evidence in
favor of the two-syllabic YAHWEH.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern
Norway

Mandag 3. Juni 2013 07:36 CEST skrev Jonathan Mohler