b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Mohler <jonathan.mohler AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 00:36:49 -0500

This can be seen as a typical morphophonemic process, whereby one sound takes on a characteristic of a neighboring sound.  One of the characteristics of the lamed is that it is a "continuant;" the fricative kaf thus is extending the continuant characteristic of the lamed.  This is the most observable phenomenon in language.  What Rolf is dubbing a "voiced" kaf is actually a "stop" or what phonologists call a [ -continuant ] (the lamed is a [ +continuant ]).  Whatever one thinks about the masoretic pointing, linguists have and continue to show that their phonology is consistent with that of all languages.  That is, the Tiberian system was a real-world spoken language.

I recommend everyone on this list pick up some beginning linguistics books such as:
Phonological Analysis, a Functional Approach, by Donald A. Burquest. (see p.3 for the above argument).