b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] מבדיל בעדי

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "nebarry" <nebarry AT verizon.net>
  • To: "Mike Burke" <michaelgburk AT yahoo.com>, "Dave Washburn" <davidlwashburn AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] מבדיל בעדי
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 14:12:19 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: Mike Burke
To: Dave Washburn ; b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2013 1:46 PM

If you wanted to understand the language of Shakespeare, there would be no reason to limit yourself to the text of Hamlet "as we have received it," and every reason to look at The King James Bible, Julius Caesar, Henry V, the Merchant of Venice, the Taming of the Shrew, etc.,etc., etc.

I'm interested in how Hebrew words are, were, and can be used (in both ancient and modern Hebrew), and I should think that anyone interested in understanding the language of the Hebrew Bible would be interested extra biblical sources.

Mike, then what you really need to do is get a good lexicon for Biblical and a good dictionary for modern and start looking these things up on context for yourself. That's what the people who are helping you are doing (unless they happen to know it off the top of their heads, of course). Spend time reading lots of Hebrew, or find a context for modern where you can actually talk to people. That's how you get good at it.

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Classics and Bible @ TAA
http://www.theamericanacademy.net