b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] מבדיל בעדי

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Mike Burke <michaelgburk AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Dave Washburn <davidlwashburn AT gmail.com>, "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] מבדיל בעדי
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 10:46:55 -0700 (PDT)

If you wanted to understand the language of Shakespeare, there would be no reason to limit yourself to the text of Hamlet "as we have received it," and every reason to look at The King James Bible, Julius Caesar, Henry V, the Merchant of Venice, the Taming of the Shrew, etc.,etc., etc.

I'm interested in how Hebrew words are, were, and can be used (in both ancient and modern Hebrew), and I should think that anyone interested in understanding the language of the Hebrew Bible would be interested extra biblical sources.

K. Randolph said that an electronic search of the text of the Hebrew Bible didn't turn up the phrase I offered, but does that mean בעדי (the word I'm interested in here) couldn't be used in that phrase (or a phrase like it), or that it isn't so used in the Targums, Mishna, or Talmud?

I don't know if it is or isn't, as I didn't do an electronic search of every conceivable Hebrew Text before I asked my question.

I was wondering if בעדי could be used in a particular context, and I offered an example of the kind of context I was thinking of.

If any of you learned scholars came across the sentence " מבדיל בעדי גויים ," how would you translate it?

I put the word in which I'm interested in a context for you.

I'd like to know whether the word could be used in that context, and what it would mean (or are you saying it cannot be used in that context, and the sentence I constructed is meaningless?)

Michael Gerard Burke