b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] יביאו

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Mike Burke <michaelgburk AT yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] יביאו
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 20:25:52 +0200

Mike,

take a look here:

http://www.oham.net/out/PIS-d/PIS-d391.html

Greetings,

Pere Porta

2013/5/20 K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
Mike:

2013/5/19 Mike Burke <michaelgburk AT yahoo.com>
What does יביאו mean?

The binhan and contexts are clear: this is a hiphil of the verb “to come” which is causative, which makes the meaning “to cause to come”.

However, in English, we have a verb that refers to that action—“to bring”, hence a good translator would use the English “to bring” instead of “to cause to come” when translating the term. But remember, translation is not the same as understanding the term within the language, so just because we use a different term in English does not make this a different entry in a dictionary in the mind of a native speaker of Biblical Hebrew.