b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ובלחם

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Mohler <jonathan.mohler AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, John Leake <jesleake AT yahoo.co.uk>, Mike Burke <michaelgburk AT yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ובלחם
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 14:05:19 -0500

Thanks George,

Yes, John Leake brought the cognate languages to my attention, which basically threw my theory out the window.  I did suggest to Isaac Fried that maybe the לחם, to beat was newer than לחם, bread.  This is fraught with difficulty as well.

I am not too concerned, however, with the bread/meat issue.  Swahili has a word whose root meaning means vegetable, mboga.   The Kenyan people, though, use it more generally as the "side foods."  The Luyia people consider ugali (maize mill mush) as the heart of the meal.  If they spoke Hebrew they might call their ugali lechem.  As such they consider everything else on the table as mboga, even meat.  The Turkana, a semi-nomadic tribe in the Northwest corner under Sudan, eat primarily meat, mostly goat.  To them anything outside of meat they call mboga (if they use Swahili). When I told some Turkana associates that the Luyia down south called meat mboga, they couldn't stop laughing.  No doubt, they would probably call meat lechem.

Most interesting to me is that ugali  (Swahili) is a Guttural-Liquid word; so is the okhula, to eat (Luyia).  Mboga is a Bilabial-guttural.  לחם contains all three consonant types Liquid-Guttural-Bilabial.  Add to all that the Heb. word אכל, to eat.  I am always on the lookout for universal root words (non-borrowed), especially from Bantu languages.

Jonathan E. Mohler