b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ובלחם

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Jonathan Mohler <jonathan.mohler AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ובלחם
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 08:22:18 -0700

George et al:

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 11:06 PM, George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au> wrote:
I'm unconvinced, Jonathan. I think this is reading too much into etymology. I can't see how we get from 'beating' to 'eating bread'. Also, it doesn't explain the Arabic cognate, which means 'meat'. There are, it seems, two distinct roots: to fight, and to have a meal.

Yes I agree that there seem to be two distinct roots, but are they homonyms or merely homographs?

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia