b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ובלחם

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: john.leake AT yahoo.co.uk
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ובלחם
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 22:43:29 -0400

As I see it LAXAM is 'press together', and MI-LXAM-AH (the MI- is 'the thing which is') is the pressing together of the grappling or wrestling combatants, but, of course, other people may see it differently.

It is interesting that the English 'batch' comes from 'bake', which may be related to 'puff, inflate' (in German Backe is 'cheek'.)

I suspect that "Proto-Semitic" belongs in the nether world of the legends.

Isaac Fried, Boston University