b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ובלחם

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: Jonathan Mohler <jonathan.mohler AT gmail.com>, "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ובלחם
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 06:06:48 +0000

I'm unconvinced, Jonathan. I think this is reading too much into etymology. I can't see how we get from 'beating' to 'eating bread'. Also, it doesn't explain the Arabic cognate, which means 'meat'. There are, it seems, two distinct roots: to fight, and to have a meal.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia