b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 4:25 bridegroom of blood

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Oun Kwon <kwonbbl AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 4:25 bridegroom of blood
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 06:31:16 -0800

Oun:

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Oun Kwon <kwonbbl AT gmail.com> wrote:

Could you comment on this wiki entity in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zipporah_at_the_inn#Difference_in_translation ?

Copied from wiki section here:

Difference in translation

In Hebrew, the word “feet” is used as a euphemism for the word “genitals.”

This is a bunch of baloney made up by people about two thousand years after the event took place. There’s no justification for it.

It’s well known that WikiPedia has a well deserved reputation for inaccuracy, so I almost never look to it for information.

Personally I find that event somewhat hard to understand as to what exactly happened and what exactly Zipporah meant with her statement (my first reaction was that Zipporah deplored the fact that obedience to God’s commands included the shedding of blood, even the blood of infants in circumcism though not sacrifice) but I don’t know for certain.