b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Exodus 4:25 bridegroom of blood

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <kenneth AT messianicmistakes.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Exodus 4:25 bridegroom of blood
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 00:20:55 -0800 (PST)

Norman,

I think the idea that circumcision was done before marriage is interesting,
but there is another unusual possibility. I didn't want to mention it, but
Nir said something like the idea. Maybe Ex. 4:23-26 mentions G-d as Israel's
father (Israel is His first born son) and that G-d Himself was after the
person He wanted to kill (Moses or his son). If Zipporah married an
Israelite, G-d could be her "father-in-law", so she might have circumcised
her son and said "because You are a father-in-law of blood to Me" or "because
a father in law of blood came to me" (since G-d was there sort of) and the
blood referred to the circumcision. I don't like this idea as much as some of
the others, but it makes some sense.

Kenneth Greifer