b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Immah: adam, Eve and Gen 3:6 -

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rev. Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Norman Cohn" <normanncohn AT yahoo.com.br>, "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Immah: adam, Eve and Gen 3:6 -
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 14:00:05 -0800

Dear Norman,

True, many different groups, Jewish, Muslim and Christian,  over time have accused Eve of the sin. Unfortunately, that is a misreading of the text.

1. Whether or not Adam heard the discussion with the "serpent" is not stated.

2. Eve quotes the commandment of God, cf. 2:16-17, but adds to the commandment, "or touch it."

3. Then the "serpent" directly contradicts the commandment of God in 3:5.

4. The text clearly states that Eve,
        saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food,
        pleasant to the eye,
        desirable for gaining wisdom,
        took and ate it.

5. It is here that the text has "immah;" LXX has "MET' AUTHS."

6. It should be noted that Sirach 25:24, "For the woman sin has its beginning, and because of her we all die." This contradicted in Romans 5:12-18 where Paul places the sin clearly on Adam. Adam was there, he knew what Eve was doing and tried to pass the buck (Genesis 3:12). While she was deceived (Genesis 3:13), it was Adam who clearly and deliberately disobeyed.

Pual even gives his comment on Genesis 3 in  I Timothy 2:14, "For Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived, and became a sinner."
Rev. Bryant J. Williams III