b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Immah: adam, Eve and Gen 3:6 -

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Immah: adam, Eve and Gen 3:6 -
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 05:31:47 +0000

Norman,

One of the things about literature, and the Bible is no exception, is that scenes can often be taken in multiple ways. Some will see the man there with the woman during the temptation by the snake, while others will see him entering the scene only to eat. You can get support from the text for both readings.

Personally, I think some of the dramatic impact of the scene comes from the sudden revelation that the man is actually there. But it surprises us as readers because we are only informed practically after the fact.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia