b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Hedrick Gary <GaryH AT cjfm.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 13:14:55 -0600

Fred, the term olam in itself is not all that controversial. We can literally
go for months on end here on B-Hebrew without the term coming up in
discussion even once.

What is controversial is your insistence on a one-size-fits-all definition of
olam (as opposed to multiple nuanced meanings depending on context and
usage), and also your theory that when olam refers to God himself, it
signifies that He is "unknown" rather than unbounded and eternal.

Essentially, YOU are the controversy, Fred, not the term olam.

By the way, do you realize that an English speaker could say: "A grand, wide
and never bridged, canyon exists between the two consumer groups of 'cool';
the one advocating that it refers to temperature and the other advocating
that it means something trendy and appealing"?

In that situation, wouldn't you be tempted to say it's a false dichotomy (and
a manufactured controversy) because both can be true, depending on context
and usage?

Or would you insist that "cool" must always mean the same thing in every
context where it appears?

Gary Hedrick
San Antonio, Texas USA

P.S. Nir, "read my iips" was G.H.W. Bush, not Ronald Reagan. Just FYI.