b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 96, Issue 14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 96, Issue 14
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:00:36 -0600

Hello Karl:

Thanks for your comments.

Please forgive my inability to understand you.

Perhaps the following examples will illuminate the issue confronting me.

When I see the following two biblical hebrew words; I understand the
prevailing and generally accepted english meanings of these words as
follows:

a. דג = fish;

b. עץ = tree.

And

c. עולם = ?

Or to say it another way; if "dag" means fish; and "etz" means tree; what
does "olam" mean?

It all seems so simple.

There must be some straightforward meaning attached to the hebrew word עולם
; just as a simple meaning attaches to דג and עץ . ?

What is the meaning of olam in biblical hebrew?

regards,

fred burlingame