b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hedrick Gary <GaryH AT cjfm.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 13:41:30 -0600

No, Gary:

you signify the controversy with your theology first program.

Where in the masoretic text does the word eternal appear? Only in your
religious assignment of that meaning to עולם .

Nothing in the hebrew language or the masoretic text calls for that usage,
except your theology.

To move עולם from an unequivocal, clear & applied use of three days, thirty
years, three hundred years, etc., respectively; and into eternity,
represents faith and beliefs first, and facts second.

regards,

fred burlingame