b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 96, Issue 14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 96, Issue 14
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 14:16:13 -0800

Fred:

You are focussing on the object, the time span, whereas the ancient Hebrew
writers focussed on the action, as indicated even by their choice of words
to express their ideas. The action here concerns knowing, or more accurately
the lack thereof. The act of not knowing is attached to a young man or woman
who is not yet sexually active (contrast Genesis 4:1) hence elem and almah,
and in time refers to a span of time whose beginning, end or both are
unknown at the time the reference is made, and also refers to the infinite
because our finite minds cannot comprehend the infinite, i.e. eternity. By
focussing on the action rather than the object, there is no dichotomy in
word use in referring to a finite span of time whose end is not yet known,
and eternity which cannot be known.

As for how best to translate the terms, that is translation, not meaning,
and beyond what I care to discuss.

For a further discussion of how the ancient Hebrews thought, look at
http://www.wikinfo.org/index.php/Hebrew_thought

Karl W. Randolph.