b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam (was: Song of Songs 1:12)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: steve AT voiceinwilderness.info
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam (was: Song of Songs 1:12)
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 19:38:55 -0600

Hello Steve:

Thanks for your comments. Please allow me to respond.

1. Your new testament reference (and comments based on it) remain irrelevant
to this forum.

2. I don't know what the 10th century authors of the masoretic text thought
about in terms of the future. They could have thought about eternity.

3. I disagree with your comments about my logic, mathematical discipline,
etc.

4. Your theology intrudes upon the facts. The God of olam no less forbids an
eternal God, than the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob forbids the God of all
people. If every instance of anger and mercy attributed to יהוה in the
masoretic text were eternal, the language would make sense not. For every
act of anger and mercy would never end. Both don't happen to the same person
simultaneously and always. deuteronomy 32:39.

5. Your theology, rather than facts, again guides your comments about my
intelligence, knowledge and standing.

regards,

fred burlingame