b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam (was: Song of Songs 1:12)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • To: "'fred burlingame'" <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: 'B-Hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam (was: Song of Songs 1:12)
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 19:02:51 -0500

English has the concept of an endless “forever.” Hebrew does not. As Gary
reminded us, the actual concept of עולם is a very long time. But the normal
English translation of עד עולם is “forever,” unless context prevents such an
open-ended statement.

When I was involved in translation work, I happened to work in a language
that, like Hebrew, did not have the “forever” concept. But their equivalent
preposition phrase, “adde noka,” was well understood by people to normally
refer to an endless time unless otherwise prevented.

Just out of curiosity, what would you suggest as a more “correct” meaning?

Paul Zellmer