b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam (was: Song of Songs 1:12)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'fred burlingame'" <tensorpath AT gmail.com>, "'Paul Zellmer'" <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • Cc: 'B-Hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam (was: Song of Songs 1:12)
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 22:04:20 -0500

Fred,
I think lolam or ad-olam means until the age or forever depending on the
context. If you want to unambiguously say "forever" in Hebrew, then you say
something like le-olam v-ad or olam ad olam, which KJV translates as for ever
and ever. I think olam is less ambiguous than "a very long time" or "an
unknown time". In Jonah 2:6, Jonah thought he was dead for sure, and he
would be there until the resurrection at the end of the age. This is similar
to Exo 21:6 where the slave will serve his master lolam.

Sincerely,
-Steve Miller
Detroit
www.voiceInWilderness.info
Blessed is the man who walks not in
the world's counsel of sin,
nor standeth in the sinners' way,
nor with the scornful stays,
because he delights in the law
of the Lord, and in awe
he meditates both day and night.
His mind is being made right. (Psalm 1:1-2)