b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Song of Songs 1:12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Song of Songs 1:12
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 07:03:12 +0100

>>> [Pere]
>>
>> No, I mean English: are there in the English language any nouns having a
>> plural that ends in L (on in K or in M or in P or in T....)?
>>

> [Karl]
> What does that have to do with Hebrew?
>

> [Pere]
>> So, Hebrew lacks the pattern "hofal of verbs ayin-waw + second person
>> singular pronoun": this pattern is not found within the 9,000 pattern
>> collection I've gathered.
>>

> [Karl]

> There is a difference between Biblical Hebrew and English in the extent
> of surviving literature. The number of words published each year in English
> by native English speaking people far outstrips the total number of words
> found in the total Tanakh. There are many words in Tanakh that are used only
> once, which you know, likewise how many grammatical structures are found
> only once in Tanakh? Can you rule out (other than saying that there are no
> other examples of hophal ayin-waw verbs + second person singular pronoun)
> that this is not a one-time example of that particular form? Your argument
> falls flat until you can flesh it out more.
>

> [Pere]

Karl, my collection of 9,000 patterns goes much beyond biblical Hebrew. It
takes into account the most complete and full lists of nouns, verbs and
others. So, since the pattern "hophal ayin-waw verbs + second person
singular pronoun" does not appear within this huge collection, is it not
rational to state that such a pattern does not exist in the Hebrew tongue?