b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] dagesh in two root nouns with patah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>, "George Athas" <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] dagesh in two root nouns with patah
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 22:40:32 +0100

From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>

Before the Babylonian Exile, there were no BGD-KPT softening of
consonants, so any doubling would have to be explicit, rather than implicit
using a dot.

Karl W. Randolph.

***

I must say that I'm really impressed by the number of people on this list who tend to make statements without any reservations and without any kind of substantiation about "X Y Z was/were A B C".

I really wonder how the above statement can receive any beginning of substantiation.

Perplexed...

Maybe the moderators should request that anyone who makes that kind of abrupt claim should at least provide one on-line reference.

Arnaud Fournet