b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 31:12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 31:12
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 06:01:46 +0200

Karl,

I think it is very, VERY, difficult to maintain that M'OD is (or can be) a
Pi'el Participle of the same root of the noun aleph-yod-daleth (distress).

Patterns consisting of prefix M- and two root letters are always

1. Either Hiph'il Participles as in Ez 33:32; Jr 21:4; Pr 17:4...
2. Or Hoph'al Participles as in Jb 11:15; Ml 1:11...
3. Or nouns usually coming from bases ayin-ayin as 'magen' (shield) (Gn
15:1); 'ma'oz', fortress, protection (not in the Bible). (Some others derive
from bases pe-nun as 'matan' (gift) (Pr 21:14) or 'makhah' (wound) (Lv
26:21) and a few others come from bases ayin-yod such as 'm'dan', discussion
(cf Gn 25:2, where it is used as a proper name), from '(la)dyn', to
judge (Dn 10:1)

Nothing of Pi'el Participle here.

(How would you justify this possibility of a Pi'el Participle?)

[These are just my 2 cents, as you like to say.]

Hearty,

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)