b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 87

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'Pere Porta'" <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 87
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 23:49:04 -0400

> From: Pere Porta Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 1:06 AM
>
> We have here, Steve, a word with a double meaning: spring and thought.
>
> Have you a good Hebrew dictionary? Look at it.

Thanks Pere!
Perhaps I am not using them to full advantage, but TWOT, BDB, Holladay &
Davidson do not show "thought" as a meaning. Klein has a meaning "weighed
carefully", "consider", but no Biblical references.
What's more important, no instance of מעינ* in the Tanach means "thought".
There are only 2 meanings that I see: "spring" or "from eyes".
Just give me some Biblical refs where the word means "thought".

> This is a quite common fact in nearly every language: a word that means two,
> three... different things.

Yes, that is true. But I don't think it is that common for a word to have 2
different meanings, where both are the same part of speech. If there are a
lot of these, the language would be confusing. For example, cases such as
"saw" = a tool for cutting wood, and "saw" = past tense for "to see" is
common.

> In English:* ban* means 'edict, proclamation' and also 'to forbid'.

For all practical purposes, "ban" does not mean 'edict, proclamation'. The 2
online dictionaries (Merriam-Webster & Heritage) I use do not give that as a
possible meaning. If you use "ban" to mean that, no English speaker will
understand you.
This is an example of what I mean. It is not common for a word to have 2
unrelated meanings where both are the same part of speech.

> Concerning our word:
> --if we consider the meaning 'spring', then the base is 'ayin' (a noun)
> --if we consider the meaning 'thought', then the base is 'iyyen' (a verb
> pi'el).

I can't follow your transliteration of the verb.

> Take a look here:
> http://www.oham.net/out/P-t/P-t337.html

I don't get your point with the above site. "thought" is there as the meaning
of a totally different word.