b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is there any such thing as "permissive"/"causative" tenses in Biblical Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is there any such thing as "permissive"/"causative" tenses in Biblical Hebrew?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 18:12:36 -0700

Dear George:

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 4:51 PM, George Athas
<George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>wrote:

> As much as I love Mac, the dictionary has made the very common error of
> treating Aktionsart as Aspect. A lot of people do it, unfortunately.
> Uncompleted and Completed are not categories on how one is subjectively to
> view an action (aspect), but are categories relating to the action itself
> (not aspect).
>
> GEORGE ATHAS
> Moore Theological College (Sydney, Australia)
> www.moore.edu.au
>
> Sorry if I was not that clear.

The built in dictionary had Aspect, but not Aktionsart. Aktionsart was
defined by the dictionary automatically accessing Wikipedia, and Wikipedia
defined Aktionsart far more broadly than Aspect. I thought I made that
clear, but apparently not.

Aspect is a grammaticalization. Aktionsart includes Aspect, and much more,
according to the above.