b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is there any such thing as "permissive"/"causative" tenses in Biblical Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is there any such thing as "permissive"/"causative" tenses in Biblical Hebrew?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 16:16:07 -0700

George:

Looking at the dictionary in Mac OS X.6, I find:

“Grammar a grammatical category or form that expresses the way inwhich time
is denoted by the verb : the semantics of tense and aspect | fourverbal
aspects.“There are two aspects in English, the progressive or continuing
aspect (expressing duration, typically using the auxiliary verb bewith a
form in -ing, as in I was reading a book) and the perfect orperfective
(expressing completed action, typically using the auxiliary verb have with
a past participle, as in I have read the book)”

In other words, a grammaticalized completed/uncompleted action shown by the
different inflections.

This was also the meaning taught me when studying Russian.

AKTIONSART is more general and not necessarily grammaticalized, according to
the definitions I found, and it is not listed as an option in the SIL
glossary of linguistic terms.

The qal/yiqtol inflections are not grammaticalizations of aspect.

Karl W. Randolph.