b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is there any such thing as "permissive"/"causative" tenses in Biblical Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Chris Echols <chrisechols AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is there any such thing as "permissive"/"causative" tenses in Biblical Hebrew?
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 17:20:07 -0700

Dear Chris:

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 7:26 AM, Chris Echols <chrisechols AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Looking at these two examples from below that another minister used to
> prove
> his point, there may be more of a case since now that I understand that
> Hebrew has completed/uncompleted actions rather than past, present, future
> verb tenses. Hopefully this will make sense.

This isn’t true either. Completed/uncompleted actions is called “aspect” and
the Biblical Hebrew verb system has neither tense nor aspect.

> *Case 2:*
>
> “And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy
> God,
> and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his
> commandments, and keep all his statutes,* I will put none of these diseases
> upon thee*, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that
> healeth thee.” —Exodus 15:26 KJV
>
> In this case if I just looked at the syntax and would like to know whether
> it is possible the Hebrew could be read something like, "...all the
> sickness
> which was brought upon Egypt will not be brought upon you because I YHWH
> (cause/permit) to heal"?

No. I don’t know a thing about “divine healing” theology so this response
has no theology influencing it.

On the linguistic side, context argues that the final word is a participle,
where the best translation is, “who heals you.” “(cause/permit) to heal”
would require a different inflection.